LINE SERVICE TECHNICIAN
Department: Line Service
Location: Atlanta, GA | KFTY
Reports To: Line Service Manager & Shift Supervisor
Position Level: Entry Level
FLSA Status: Hourly Non-exempt
Post Date: 2/12/20
Schedule: Full-time & Part-time
As a front line member of the team, the Line Service Technician embodies the warm and welcoming qualities of Sensational Southern Service with a primary purpose to ensure that all guests of Hill Aircraft are provided a memorable service experience and that all aircraft operations are handled in a safe, professional, and consistent manner that meets our standards of excellence.
The Line Service Technician (LST) serves as an essential part of the fixed-base operator (FBO) daily ramp operations. The LST is a hands-on position on a team responsible for all general aviation aircraft arrival and departure services to include marshalling, greeting, baggage handling, fueling, and towing. The LST supports the overall operations and upkeep of the FBO, delivers timely and vitally accurate ground services to aircraft, anticipates and follows through on guest requests, and ensures all company policies and safety regulations under his or her assigned duties are followed on each shift. The LST represents Hill Aircraft in a positive and professional manner while interacting and upholding excellent relationships with guests, passengers, pilots, and team members.
- Operate in alignment with the overall goals, values, and expectations of Hill Aircraft and its customers.
- Promote a positive and harmonious working environment within the team in order to provide the highest levels of the customer service experience.
- Ensure all operations on the flight line are conducted in accordance to the values and standards of Hill Aircraft that contribute to safety, company policies, and procedures while also adhering to the NATA Safety 1st guidelines.
- Perform all the general functions of the LST position including towing, fueling, directing aircraft with hand signals, wing-walking, baggage handling, windshield cleaning, and other related ground support activities.
- Deliver ground power, potable water, and lavatory services to aircraft.
- Operate tugs, forklifts, golf carts, and mobile refueling vehicles.
- Perform daily fuel quality control inspections on fuel trucks and fuel farm with accurate completion of records paperwork.
- Assist in tracking fuel records and related daily paperwork, including the inventory and transfer of fuel at the fuel farm, as well as communication to Shift Supervisor or Line Manager of fuel ordering needs.
- Maintain fuel inventory records on shift and ensure fuel trucks are stocked and consistently prepared to distribute fuel.
- Carry out detail-oriented responsibilities such as checking aircraft oil levels and delivering fuel on to aircraft.
- Assist passengers and crew with luggage and ground transportation.
- Assist crew and/or concierge teams with trash disposal, ice, coffee, dishes, linens, catering, and newspapers.
- Perform an initial visible damage walk-around on aircraft and report findings to the pilot or owner prior to towing.
- Follow flight and reservation schedules for arrivals, departures, and pull-ups of aircraft.
- Coordinate ramp-parking schedules for smooth arrival and departure operations, as well as efficient hangar stacking needs.
- Greet customers and crew going on or coming off aircraft.
- Respond promptly to customer needs or service requests up to their satisfaction.
- Debrief daily with the team on either the previous or the following shift for updates on current operations to ensure a smooth transition from one shift to the next.
- Communicate regularly with Shift Supervisor or Line Manager on work progress, significant issues that arise, resources needed to perform better, or supply inventory items needing to be ordered when low.
- Follow time management practices by planning ahead and anticipating the demands of each shift or pending customer requests.
- Assist in keeping the aircraft hangar floors clean and orderly.
- Organize and maintain a clean work area where tow bars, chocks, tugs, and other equipment are stored.
- Clean rental cars and courtesy vehicles when needed and assist concierge team or front desk with return information.
- Communicate with customers, crews, and team members within the Line and Customer Service departments in person, by two-way radio, in writing, and over the phone.
- Assist front desk Customer Service Representatives when needed.
- Adhere to U.S. Customs, FAA, and airport regulations and procedures.
- Perform cleaning, cutting, and clearing duties around the facilities, customer entranceways, walkways, and landscaping areas.
- Ensure that all equipment, operational areas, line shack, and terminal lobby areas that customers utilize are continuously organized, clean, and litter-free.
- Assist in thoroughly completing all additional shift duties and assigned tasks to ensure all checklists accompanied are filled out before the end of the shift.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
- Minimum of (2) years FBO experience within the general aviation industry.
- Minimum of (1) year of Line Service ramp operations experience as Technician.
- Minimum of (2) years of customer service experience.
- High school diploma or GED certificate.
- Current PLST NATA Safety 1st certified.
- If not current, successful completion of NATA Safety 1st Professional Line Service Training (PLST) program within 30-days of new hire or internal promotion.
- Superb knowledge of aviation terminology, general aviation aircraft makes and models (piston and turbine), airport ground communications, and ramp management.
- Understanding of airport layouts, signage, ground control operations, and safety precautions during movement in and/or around active ramps, run-up areas, taxiways, and runways within the Aircraft Operations Area (AOA).
- Comprehension of aircraft systems related to ground services, including proper towing and fueling procedures.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- Desire to work closely on a team to accomplish tasks and goals for each shift.
- Naturally outgoing and approachable with a passion for providing an outstanding customer service experience.
- Strong communication (written and oral) and effective interpersonal aptitude.
- Ability to communicate effectively with customers and team members in person, by phone, and over the two-way radio system.
- Solid judgment, conflict resolution, decision-making, and teamwork skills.
- Consistently demonstrated organizational, resource allocation, and time management skills.
- Tactful, courteous, and conscience of customer’s needs.
- Ability to perform manual tasks, follow directions (written and oral), and multitask in a safe and efficient manner.
- Ability to comprehend and perform basic math calculations with minimal errors using United States units of money, weight measurement, volume, and distance.
- Basic knowledge and comfort level when using computers.
- Good problem-solving abilities for operational decisions and adaptability to various working environments or conditions.
- Ability to prepare and/or complete reports pertaining to duties within the department.
- Must possess and uphold a valid driver’s license (21 and older) without restrictions and have acceptable driving record for the past 3 years that meets company insurability requirements.
- This is an hourly, non-exempt position. This position requires working flexible hours including mornings, evenings, weekends, and after hours depending on assigned schedule, as well as on scheduled company holidays to accommodate the needs of the customers and department operations.
- Must be able to pass a background check and drug screen. Hill Aircraft is a Zero Tolerance Drug Free Employer, including pre-employment and random drug screening.
- Must be able to work scheduled hours and maintain a dependable attendance record in compliance with the company policies and procedures.
- Operation of motor vehicles and heavy equipment, including fuel trucks and tugs.
- Ability to handle moderate to heavy physical activity outside on ramp operations.
- Ability to regularly lift and/or move 40 lbs or more such as fueling equipment, tow bars, tow heads, and baggage handling.
- Ability to travel for the position if needed (infrequent).
ENVIRONMENT AND WORK CONDITIONS
The work environment or conditions described below are representative of those encountered while performing the essential functions of this position and may vary on a given day depending on requirements.
- General office and FBO building conditions.
- Regularly standing, walking outside, and climbing ladders.
- Performing physical labor activities with hands such as baggage handling and pulling fuel hoses.
- Outside on active and loud ramp areas around aircraft, fuel trucks, vehicles, and other ground handling equipment with proper protection.
- Occasionally lifting 40 lbs or more, pulling, pushing, bending and squatting as needed.
- In hangar and other areas of facility.
- Driving vehicles and operating aircraft ground support heavy equipment.
- Outside in various weather conditions such as sun, rain, sleet, snow, and hot or cold temperatures.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this position. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice based on the needs of the department and company. To perform this job successfully, the candidate will possess a proficient level of the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed within this description. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship.
Please submit your resume and a short introduction for consideration of this job.